Putting first impressions on the right track
First impressions matter. With more than 3 million people passing through Swindon's train station every year, it was vital that commuters gained the very best welcome to the town. That's exactly what the new station forecourt delivers: a modern, stylish and safe environment that presents Swindon in the best light. It is now a spacious and pleasant meeting place with new trees and seating for visitors.
Giving Swindon a grand entrance
- The high-quality forecourt defines a large pedestrian space that helps visitors reach Swindon's town centre by foot.
- Clearly defined transport areas help visitors find their way to buses and taxis, and bands of sandstone identify various usage areas.
- The new area provides easy access to buses.
- An improved, bigger three-lane taxi rank makes it easy for visitors to use taxis.
- The project improves traffic flow in Gloucester Road.
- An extensive lay-by in Station Road simplifies service deliveries and improves pick-ups and drop-offs for disabled people.
The new and improved station forecourt (below), October 2012. For more images, please view all the project images on the right.
The station forecourt, shown in 2011 (below), before redevelopment.